Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Music for the Day


Growing up, music appreciation was big with my dad. Classical (as in orchestra/symphony/etc.) music was to be listened to on the radio. Rap and Radio Disney were not options; however, on Saturday afternoons cruising around town in the Acura, we absorbed classics from other genres. Classic rock was a basic staple for those memorable rides. Toto, Heart, Styx, The Cars, and Fleetwood Mac were all frequents. My post today hails an also Saturday-classics frequent that has become a solid piece of my soul, my music soul.

Paul Simon's album Graceland incorporates musicians from South Africa and is not like his earlier folkie albums recorded with Garfunkel. It is in itself its own unique genre.

Graceland flows through my veins. I listen to it now, and I might add, not just in the car on Saturdays. The songs are gems. If you don't listen to the whole genius of an album, listen to track 2, 3, 5, 6, or 8. If you prefer youtube, here is a live recording of Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes at a concert in Zimbabwe. Here is a the song Graceland from the same concert. He also recorded a music video featuring Chevy Chase in the song Call Me Al. As a side note, Simon keeps forgetting that Chase is supposed to do the lip-syncing. He slips up a bunch, but is still a music legend just the same.

I leave you with solid, quality music and the mantra of "rock on," or should I say "classics on!" to be heeded by the reader promptly.

No comments:

Post a Comment